In this project, you will be volunteering your time and energy to protect endangered sea turtles in Thailand. You don’t need any special skills to be a volunteer, just enthusiasm and a willingness to lend a hand.
Main activities are monitoring nesting beaches in the morning and observing a sea turtle feeding area. Besides these main acitivites, we collect weather data, do tortoise and freshwater turtle survey, working together with the community and raise awareness among locals and visitors.
Name of the project: Sea Turtle Conservation Project in Thailand
Dates: From 15 November 2013 to 15 April 2014
Location: Lions Village, Phra Thong Island, Phang-Nga Province
- Sea turtle monitoring on the beach
- Sea turtle behavior observation
- Weather monitoring and data collection
- Awareness raising
- Community work
- Environmental education
- Tortoise and freshwater turtle survey*
- Reef survey *
- Thai lessons *
- Mangrove Rehabilitation activities *
- Sea grass research activities *
- Reef and beach cleaning*
*These activities depend on the time period and availability of the staff
Requirements: 18 years of age, physically fit
- 745€ for 2 weeks; any additional week is 347€.
Discount available for a long stay (more than 4 weeks).
Special rate are available for Thai Volunteers and students.
What’s included in the price:
- Boat ride from/to the island
- Pre-arranged volunteer placement
- Accommodations in the village homestay
- Three meals a day (vegetarian option available)
- Drinking water
- Daily transportation in the project
- Pre departure and local support
- Orientation and training to the field work
- Volunteer coordination
- One hour Thai massage
- Volunteer information package
- One year Naucrates membership
Not included in the price:
- Travel to reach the island (flight, boat, car, etc).
- Personal Insurance (compulsory)
- Additional activities and excursions
Accommodation and meals:
You will stay in a room with a Thai family (home-stay). You may have to share a room with another volunteer depending on availability.
Each house basic toilet and bathroom (western or Asian)
Electricity will be available only in the evening between 18.00 and 22.00.
Three Thai meals a day are provided and cooked by a local lady.